What exactly is Shopify and How does Shopify Works?
Shopify is a full-service commerce platform that allows you to start, grow, and manage your own company. The experiences of millions of companies on our platform have informed our commerce knowledge and leadership. Their achievements enable us to anticipate and develop the characteristics required not just to power commerce today, but also to impact and shape the industry’s future.
How does Shopify operate?
Shopify consolidates all of your business’s transactions onto a single platform. Merchants may use Shopify to create and customise an online store and sell in a variety of areas, including web, mobile, in-person, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops,as well as through a variety of platforms ranging from social media to online marketplaces
Shopify is completely cloud-based and hosted, so you can access it from any device that is connected to the internet, and we will manage all software and server upgrades and maintenance for you. You may access and manage your business from any location with an internet connection.
A commerce organisation requires a variety of tools on any given day to handle items, inventories, payments, and shipping—and they spend a lot of time and money connecting the diverse systems and data. Shopify brings those technologies together and guarantees that you can quickly access and integrate any other business tools required to make Shopify work for your company.
Consider Shopify’s products to be layers from which you may construct the ideal stack for your business:
Layer 1: The primary product of Shopify –
This is what you receive when you purchase any Shopify plan. Shopify’s core offering includes everything you need to transform your concept into a business and start selling: templates for your store’s appearance and feel, tools to sell in multiple places online and in-person, integrated payment processing, the best-converting checkout on the internet, and SEO and marketing tools. All of our other products and apps are built on this foundation.
For individuals who wish to fine-tune their business and experience, Shopify APIs and developer tools are available to further customise their store’s capabilities.
Layer 2: Additional Shopify goods and services –
Each individual business is distinct. And when a company grows, so do its requirements. As a result, we provide our clients with strong enhancements to help them build their businesses on our platform. These goods and services are exclusive to Shopify clients and are meant to provide independent business owners a competitive advantage in the market. They range from simpler access to funding to faster payment alternatives.
Layer 3: Apps created by reliable partners –
Shopify’s App Business has hundreds of applications and features created by third-party developers that allow you to customise your store without ever touching the code. Anything you can imagine, there’s an app to help you make it a reality. The App Store has the most cutting-edge tools for growing your business, whether it’s the latest SMS app or the hottest new social media network’s marketing features.
There is also a marketplace of Shopify Experts where you can engage them to create unique solutions for your company. You may also experiment with the code yourself if you like!
Why use Shopify?
- Shopify provides assistance to the broader ecommerce community. Online, offline, and all points in between, we have the most diversified group of entrepreneurs, retailers, developers, and partners.
- Shopify is a multinational company. We help entrepreneurs all around the world build, connect, and innovate their businesses. With merchants in over 175 countries, we empower entrepreneurs across the world with the platform, building blocks, and resources they need to succeed in business.
- Shopify encourages artistic creativity and thinks that there should be more distinct voices, stories, and experiences, not fewer, which is why we designed our product with maximum extensibility, flexibility, and expression.
- Shopify is the most comprehensive commerce platform right out of the box. Shopify not only centralises whole commerce enterprises, but it also provides access to the most comprehensive set of commerce ecosystem connections based on a common technological architecture. This level of connection and access guarantees that we have a wide range of themes, applications, channels, surfaces, goods, and experiences to choose from.
- Shopify eliminates unneeded complexity. We understand that the world is not set up for independent enterprises to start, expand, and prosper. That is why we make it as simple and easy as possible for businesses to have access to growth tools.
- Shopify is designed to grow with you. You will never lack access to technology and tools to create your business, regardless of your technological maturity, growth, size, complexity, or location, and you will never outgrow Shopify as your needs alter, expand, or evolve.
Make commerce happen everywhere –
Shopify can help you turn an idea, a concept, or a vision into a genuine commerce experience that works online, offline, and everywhere in between.
- Storefronts (Online Store: Custom Storefronts). Personalise the front end of your website to provide your consumers with a one-of-a-kind, seamless buying experience.
- Integrations of Social Channels/Sales Shopify allows you to promote and sell your items across several channels from a single location. Increase your audience by selling where they are on social media and major marketplaces.
- App for Shopping, a digital shopping assistant, makes it simple for customers to rapidly checkout, track order and shipment information, and rediscover your business.
- Retail / Point of Sale With Shopify’s all-in-one POS system, you can sell in person while still collecting the data you need to sell online. To provide a smooth shopping experience for consumers, manage workers, track inventories, and more.
- Tools for the Creator Empower creators by giving them the tools they need to not just create content but also run a successful company.
- Save your data, media, and content. Using content and analytics, tell the story of your brand and goods. Build on core aspects like metafields, media file support, and more to bring your shop to life for memorable customer experiences.
- Brand/Logo Development Tools Create your brand with simple tools for your business. Use our logo builder, slogan maker, QR code generator, and other tools to help your business thrive.
- Domains/Hosting. Choose and host your domain safely with Shopify, taking advantage of complete control and flexibility to effortlessly customise.
Connect with each customer –
- Shopify allows retailers to create and own long-term buyer and customer relationships.
- Checkout. Accept orders and payments online with the world’s most powerful checkout. Customers add items to their carts, then proceed to your checkout procedure to provide their shipping and payment information before completing their transaction.
- Markets on Shopify Increase your reach by selling to people all around the world. With Shopify Markets, you can sell to clients all over the world from a single online store.
- Tools for Customer Engagement and Marketing Using Shopify’s customer interaction and marketing capabilities, you can reach the right individual with the right message at the right time. Use customer segmentation, email marketing, automation features, and other tools to increase relevance and engagement with your audience.
- Messaging/Inbox/Chat. With Shopify Inbox, you can communicate with customers and manage discussions from anywhere. Create automated messages and gain analytics to focus on conversion-focused discussions.
- Marketing Analytics and Insights Make educated company decisions by leveraging the marketing insights and data given by Shopify’s reports and analytics.
- App for Shopping The Shop App, a digital shopping assistant, makes it simple for customers to rapidly checkout, track order and shipment information, and rediscover your business.
- Shopify’s B2B platform. Provide a personalised experience that your B2B customers will appreciate. With Shopify, you can handle both B2B and DTC clients, orders, and inventory from a single platform, with distinct storefronts.
- Selling Techniques Increase conversions by providing customers with unique and customised pricing and promotions. Use selling methods like pre-orders, try-before-you-buy, raffles, inventive pricing strategies, and more to entice customers to buy. With subscription apps and APIs, you can create predictable income streams, convert one-time clients into recurring customers, and boost customer loyalty.
- Merchandising. Merchandising may help you advertise and sell items in your shop by providing visual displays, product bundling, special offers, and more. Merchandising with Shopify is an efficient approach to promote brand awareness, sales, inventory turnover, and customer satisfaction.
Business growth and scaling catalysts.
Shopify aids entrepreneurs in their quest for success.
- Central Administration Manage your company effortlessly from a single spot. You can access all aspects of your business from one location with Shopify’s Admin.
- Shopify Fulfilment Network / Deliver / Back Office With Shopify, you can centralise everything needed to manage fulfilment, inventory, shipping, and more. To manage your supply chain, use our Shipping Partner Platform, an integrated community of third-party logistics (3PL) partners. Keep your business’s backend working efficiently, from order setup through label printing and tracking.
- Banking = capital + balance. Balance and Capital are Shopify’s banking tools for managing your money and funding. Balance allows you to manage your account from a single location, while Capital gives you quick, easy access to finance to help your business drive development.
- Instalments & Shop Pay allow consumers to checkout swiftly, utilising encryption to keep their information, pay in full at checkout, or split payments into instalments. You can thrill your consumers by providing quick and flexible payment choices with Shop Pay.
- App for mobile devices. Use the Shopify app to operate your business from anywhere. You can use it to manage your Shopify store while you’re on the move, reply to information in real time, handle orders, and more.
- Flow / Automation Using Shopify automations, connect with consumers at important points throughout their journey. You may use always-on marketing messages that run automatically once you’ve established criteria and created content to assist in boosting conversions.
There’s more: the Shopify App Store, bespoke code, and plenty more.
Shopify features the world’s largest commercial theme store and app marketplace. With over a million independent enterprises offering every sort of good in markets all over the world, it’s difficult to meet every single company’s demand. And attempting to incorporate every potential function a firm could want just complicates the product’s usability for the vast majority of new business owners.
Instead, we prioritised making our platform flexible—first and foremost—with the ability to easily address the ever-evolving complexities of running a business. Then we ask the assistance of every developer on the planet to join us in our cause, allowing them to create applications, themes, and other integrations particularly for Shopify’s platform.
That is how the Shopify App Store was born. With more than 9,000+ apps to choose from, Shopify store owners have even more options when it comes to tailoring their store to meet their business needs. There’s an app for everything, whether you want to add customer feedback, manage your finances, or add virtual try-ons to your business.
Merchants can find exactly what they need for their store, and new developers can build their business by supporting those entrepreneurs. It’s a win-win.
- You are not, however, limited to the programmes offered in our App Store. Shopify is more than just a piece of software or a single product; it is an all-in-one commerce platform. Want to experiment with code (or hire someone from our partner ecosystem to do so):
- Customise your theme or create one from scratch.
- Using developer tools and Shopify’s APIs, you may create bespoke applications for your store.
- Use APIs to fuel bespoke experiences, such as merchandise sales in a video game.
- The basic idea is that you don’t have to sacrifice usability for customization and control. With Shopify, you can swiftly launch your store and campaigns while also generating rich, one-of-a-kind experiences similar to those seen with major companies.
Begin using Shopify right away.
Shopify is more than just a piece of software or a single product; it is an all-in-one ecommerce platform. More than that, it’s a thriving ecosystem that adds value to company owners by bringing together developers, business professionals, and customers with the common goal of making commerce better for everyone.
By making entrepreneurship more accessible, Shopify makes it more accessible to anybody seeking independence. Shopify is built for you, whether you’re a scrappy startup just getting started or an established company with customers all over the world.
And it’s never been easier to get started! Begin your free trial, then use our ecommerce website launch checklist to get started selling online right now.